Except for up to date design, the brand new safety features in Valve’s redesigned Steam app embrace a two-factor authentication system (2FA), QR code login and extra.
Table of Content
What’s taking place? Valve has rebuilt its cellular Steam app for iOS and Android with new safety features to stop shedding entry to your video games library.
Why care? Earlier than, you have been liable to account hijacking as a result of poor safety.
What to do? Watch the video to see what’s new, then obtain the replace.
Valve redesigns the cellular Steam app
The previous Steam app wasn’t very properly designed. Its complicated interface made it cumbersome to navigate the app’s sections. And it carried out slowly, to place it mildly.
The rebuilt app, Valve guarantees, has none of these issues as a result of Valve has used a brand new improvement framework to not solely redesign the software program and make it nimbler in on a regular basis interactions but in addition implement much-needed safety features.
Defend your Steam library with two-factor authentication
The app additionally wasn’t very safe to start with. If somebody obtained maintain of your password, they might take over your Steam account and your whole video games library.
2FA provides one other layer of safety to your Steam account. With it turned on, signing in would require coming into your username, password and a one-time code generated by your favourite authenticator app, resembling Authy or Google Authenticator.
Introducing QR code signing
Valve can be giving customers one other technique to signal into their Steam account: QR codes.
So as an alternative of typing in your username and password, now you can merely scan a QR code with the Digital camera app in your iPhone.
Doing so will take you to a affirmation web page with the geographical location, system data and different knowledge related to the sign-in try. When you approve the request there, you’ll be immediately signed into your Steam account.
Signing into apps and web sites with QR codes isn’t a brand new factor. As a matter of reality, you’ve absolutely seen or tried this sign-in methodology with apps in your Apple TV.
However what in the event you can’t be bothered to even pull an iPhone out of your pocket? In that case, you can too sort in your Steam Guard code to check in to your account.
The important thing enhancements in Steam Cell 3.0
- Two-factor authentication: Make sure you’re the one one with entry to your account
- QR code sign-in: Scan a QR code to signal into Steam as an alternative of coming into a password
- Signal-in affirmation: Affirm your common Steam sign-ins with a easy “approve” or “deny”
- Approved Units: Handle entry to the gadgets your account has signed in
- Higher navigation: Easy accessibility to the Retailer, Neighborhood, Information and different sections from wherever you’re
- Your Library: Sooner entry to your recreation content material, discussions, guides, help and extra
- Distant obtain: Now you can remotely obtain video games and updates in your PC, proper out of your cellphone
- Customizable Steam notifications: Wishlist, gross sales, feedback, trades, discussions, good friend requests and extra
- Commerce and Market confirmations: These guarantee gadgets don’t go away your account with out your approval.
- Tidbits: Customizable tabs, an improved Retailer shopping expertise for cellular screens and help for utilizing a number of Steam accounts within the app.
The Steam app has additionally obtained just a few quality-of-life enhancements.
Approved Units web page and different perks
To beef up safety even additional, Valve’s Approved Units web page makes it a cinch to see the record of gadgets utilizing your Stem account and remotely signal out of any system.
One other cool new function is the power to each set up video games to your PC, in addition to uninstall any title remotely. Talking of video games, now you can see all titles in your Steam account from inside the app’s new library view. And at last, utilizing the built-in retailer ought to now be sooner, with enhancements to buying and buying and selling.